The products — known by various names, including Miracle or Master Mineral Solution, Miracle Mineral Supplement, MMS, Chlorine Dioxide Protocol and Water Purification Solution or WPS — are sold from various websites as cures for a range of both severe and minor ailments.
“Miracle Mineral Solution and similar products are not FDA-approved, and ingesting these products is the same as drinking bleach,” said FDA Acting Commissioner Dr. Ned Sharpless.
“Consumers should not use these products, and parents should not give these products to their children for any reason.”
The sodium chlorite solution is usually sold with and mixed with an “activator” of citric acid, such as lemon or lime juice, before drinking. The combined mixture becomes chlorine dioxide, a powerful bleaching agent which can have serious and potentially life-threatening side effects, the FDA explained.
Severe vomiting, severe diarrhea, life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration, and acute liver failure are among the side effects experienced by people who drank these products, the agency reported.
The product, then, does not cure disease, instead it “helps to line things up” so the body can heal itself, according to Humble.
The MMS website did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.