Her 7-month-old son, who is also confirmed to be infected with the Ebola virus, is receiving treatment, WHO said on Twitter on Friday.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the patients had traveled from Beni, in Congo’s North Kivu province, where the outbreak began last summer. The outbreak has led to more than 1,800 deaths.
The mother and her child are the first cases to have been detected in the province, increasing fears of the disease spreading throughout the country. Health officials are tracking and vaccinating those who came into contact with the patients.
Last month, two Ebola patients died in Goma, a city of more than 1 million people and a major transit hub along the border with Rwanda.
Ebola virus disease can cause fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea and unexplained bleeding, among other symptoms. The virus was first identified in 1976 when outbreaks occurred near the Ebola River in Congo.
Scientists announced this week that two Ebola treatments deployed in Congo had proven so effective they were being offered to all patients in country.
But mistrust in vaccines, militia attacks on health workers and limited health care resources are among the many obstacles health officials need to surmount to fight the second-deadliest Ebola outbreak on record.